Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Corporate life for the conservative

I have come to some realizations that taste very bad. This blog is now private and will be adding people I trust 100% as I think of them. Google, love it or hate it, it has changed everything. Not only can someone find the perfect gag item whether it be fart spray or a toilet monster, but employers or potential employers can use it find out about people. That is if your "arrogant" enough to think you can write about conservative views openly on the internet without apology and still have some semblance of professional success.

Lets face it, conservative and openly Christian views can either mark you as someone that wont fit in or something positive depending on the persons perspective. Unfortunately, it seems the Christian/Conservative world view is most definitely in the minority, especially in the high tech sector. This is something I new subconsciously but had no idea the potential effects it could have on certain types of peoples perception of me.

So I am officially going to start to review my internet footprint and start taking my uncles advice which is never to mix politics or religions with work unless its a 1 on 1 situation and you know who is listening. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut, but its hard, especially when a group of liberals are have a pow wow right in the same room Every apologetic fiber in my body screams.....retaliation, retaliation....must defend Christian world view.

Oh well, live and learn I guess...

2 comments:

Reminiscent Didact said...

Back in 7/2007, I was working at a naval base and happened to be interviewing a marine corps fighter pilot. He was about 25 yoa. He made a statement about what church he went to and activites at that church, so we began talking about churches and related activities in general. He seemed okay and we seemed to hit it off. We talked for a while, shook hands, then i left, going on about my business. About 2 weeks later, I was called to my supervisor's office to explain what I was talking about with this pilot. I told him what happened and that I was talking with the guy and not to him and he was definitely participating in the conversation. I was told that I was not to be involved in any further religious, political or other topic that was not work related. I don't think I have changed my activites though. I have decided that if something is important to me such as the constitution, bill of rights, gun laws, government intrusion, church, christianity, etc, I will talk about them with a willing participant even if it means putting my job in jeopardy. I have more to say, but I must go for now. Thanks, TP

Vanight said...

Tracey, thank you for your comment. I have not been updating my blog as much with spending so much time with a new job, wife, Church and mostly this upcoming election plastering as much stuff as I can on FB, trying to educate all my Liberal friends. That situation really sucks. I suppose you have no way of knowing if that Pilot purposely, inadvertently or did not at all compromise you, maybe you were being eves dropped on? Being a Private Pilot myself and loving everything there is about flying, especially military jets, that really sucks. Now, if you are in any kind of HR capacity, I know they are especially strict with enforcement of this type of thing. Small company HR people sometimes push the edge a little, but not big companies, and probably not the Military. Hope all is well, sorry for not responding sooner.