Sunday, April 02, 2006

Laodicea Community Church (seeker services available!)

The Apostate Church Today
So if you happen to have stumbled to this blog, you may be asking what I am referring to in the title. The Lord has been revealing to me over the past couple years exactly how far off we really are as a whole. I am talking about the average Christian who goes to church every Sunday like clock work, drops a few dollars into the bucket, sings so everyone can hear during the 45 minute jam session, and has christian bumper stickers boasting his or her position on key issues. Usually these bumper stickers are on vehicles that just cut someone off, are purposely driving slow just to irritate people, or have cigarettes flying out the window. No, I am not advocating that a person can't be saved and use tobacco or alcohol on occasion. That is another complex issue for another blog. I personally don't smoke anymore, at least not like I used to. My reason is simply that I want people to notice a difference and want to do my best to take care of the body the Lord gave me. I don't want to be just another Christian viewed as a hypocrite by non-believers. Whether their view is biblical or not isn't the point, they are after all, non-believers. The point is that they expect Christians to march to a higher standard and watch very closely to see that we do. Why shouldn't we be marching to a higher standard?


You may find that my writing is slightly contentious in tone at times and may be erratic. Please be patient, this is my first try at this and I am very much at the beginning of this venture. The contentiousness is what it is because I feel strongly about these issues. The purpose of this blog is to be as politically incorrect as humanly possible. Its about truth and getting to the bottom line of things. A crusade to challenge the new status quo. I hope if nothing else it will at least get people thinking about the place Christ has in our lives in contrast to the place Christ should have in our lives if we were to use the old testaments wisdom and new testaments apostles as our gage.


The subject of the end time apostate church is covered in the book of Revelations (and others) as part of end time prophecy and is referred to as the Church in Laodicea. So why do I think things are so bad? Why am I being so critical? For one, because I honestly believe the Lord has guided me to my true calling which, incidentally, is way off from the career I chose for myself. Christian apologetic writing to be more precise. Part of that calling included doing exactly this, revealing the truth about things, even if feathers get ruffled. Next to this text is a book from a very reputable theologian and apologist, John MacArthur When one reads from scripture on the subject, one can't help drawing certain correlations to many of the modern day mega churches and attitudes of the common evangelical. Some of these claim to be "word of faith" movements, which is another subject for another category. Well, don't take my word for look at scripture yourself.

Revelation (The Net Bible)
To the Church in Laodicea
3:14 "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write the following: "This is the solemn pronouncement of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the originator of God’s creation: 3:15 ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot! 3:16 So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of my mouth! 3:17 Because you say, "I am rich and have acquired great wealth, and need nothing," but do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked, 3:18 take my advice and buy gold from me refined by fire so you can become rich! Buy from me white clothing so you can be clothed and your shameful nakedness will not be exposed, and buy eye salve to put on your eyes so you can see! 3:19 All those I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent! 3:20 Listen! I am standing at the door and knocking! If anyone hears my voice and opens the door I will come into his home and share a meal with him, and he with me. 3:21 I will grant the one who conquers permission to sit with me on my throne, just as I too conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 3:22 The one who has an ear had better hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’"

Think about some of the large churches today. When is the last time you heard your pastor give crystal clear sermon on what is required in the way of repentance when we become new creatures in Christ. You often hear the good part, not the hard parts that require sacrifice and suffering. What kind of Christian is the modern church producing? If you ever have a chance to check out Buck Williams "real" ministry, do it
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/. I really have to give the guy credit because unlike many, he gets the point which is impressive coming from a Hollywood kid. We need to ask our selves, "What did Yashua really do?". Not what would he do. What did Peter, Paul, Mathew do. Its all there if we are willing to read. How committed were they? How much time did their walk with Christ take out of the daily routine. Do you think they struggled to fit it into their busy schedules like many of us do today? Do you think they prayed prayers asking for God to bless them financially because they claimed it in Jesus name? Come on people! How blind we have become. How deep has the enemy entrenched himself right smack in the middle of our church? Satan is keeping us so busy with lattes and small group activities, we just don't have time to do what should be the Lords work.

Let's see what Tim has to say about it:

2 Timothy 3 (The Net Bible)
Ministry in the Last Days
3:1 But understand this, that in the last days difficult1 times will come. 3:2 For people2 will be lovers of themselves,3 lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3:3 unloving, irreconcilable, slanderers, without self-control, savage, opposed to what is good, 3:4 treacherous, reckless, conceited, loving pleasure rather than loving God. 3:5 They will maintain the outward appearance4 of religion but will have repudiated its power. So avoid people like these.5 3:6 For some of these insinuate themselves6 into households and captivate weak women7 who are overwhelmed with sins and led along by various passions. 3:7 Such women are always seeking instruction,8 yet never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. 3:8 And just as Jannes and Jambres9 opposed Moses, so these people – who have warped minds and are disqualified in the faith10 – also oppose the truth. 3:9 But they will not go much further,11 for their foolishness will be obvious to everyone, just like it was with Jannes and Jambres.12
My oldest daughter goes to a small private school. She is constantly commenting about how all the other kids (Christian kids) have parents who buy them everything. They act and talk no differently than public school kids. Why is that? Now, part of this is lack of, or incorrect guidance and leadership within the school itself. However much of this is simply because they are children of parents who simply want the best of both worlds. I have a new word for them. Yupstians. They want it all and by golly are smart enough and will work hard enough to get it. Sound great, like apple pie and homemade ice cream except, no, you can't have it all. No, it is not the Lords will for all Christians to be wealthy, healthy, without crisis, illness, or challenges to the faith. If anything, its the opposite. A good sign that your in a Church like this is that people will tell you that you need to just keep prayer for whatever it is you want. Healing, money, a miracle. As if God forgets and needs to be reminded. People have really forgotten about the reverence and Holyness of God. It is sad really. Some folks almost act as if they are ordering at a fast food drive up window! If you are a Christian and feel like your life is hunky dory and everything is just A OK, you better take a real close look at things and figure out what you are doing wrong. Why assign troops to overcome enemies that are not a potential threat? Its a waste of resources. Think about that. If your plagued with bad luck, constantly are in prayer but still sick, thank the Lord for keeping you in his will with that affliction. Its good to be in the Lords will, Amen? When that happens we need to ask the Lord for strength to endure what he sending us, and give us wisdom so we might learn the lesson he is trying to teach. Getting a bit off subject here but this goes back to the current modern day church scene and what is being preached in the pulpit. Health, wealth and happiness. With a marketing slogan like that how can you help but attract thousands of eager customers. Harsh? Maybe. God bless the small church that struggles but refuses to dilute its message. God bless the church that sees what a "seeker" service really is and does not follow the trend. God bless the big church that has grown due to a strong mature congregation. The recipe: strong leadership, sound biblical interpretation, and a consistent undiluted message of the Gospel and of repentance. Its that simple in my humble (ahem) opinion.

That's about all I can do for now but its a start. Comments welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad,

I read through what you have written here, and what you have explained basically sums up an average Christian. I have been given examples of hypocritical Christians from my school for the last two years. Standing up and being real and different from them has been a real challenge. But I have clearly stated how I feel about the Lord in numorous writing assignments and on numorous occasions. But heres my question. My science book is what you would call an Old-age creation theory text book. I wanted to know your opinion on how long you think the earth has been around. Do you agree with the old age theory or the new age? I found many of the facts the Old-age creationists used to be lacking and hard to believe. They seem to presume and assume quite a bit. One of my teachers explained to me The old age view a little more in-depthly, and some of the ideas did not seem very Christian. Now, OBCS is a non-denominational Christian school and do not give there open opinions on this. (So, Dont think they're telling me which is right and which is wrong or anything) My personal opinion is the new- age creation theory ( also referred to as the Young- age creation theory) I guess im just a little confused about this subject. I went to mom with questions but she failed to be able to answer most of them. Im not stating the new-age theory is correct and old-age false, because they are only theories. Some things I feel the Lord has left unknown on purpose. I just want to know your opinon. Anyways, good work on your web blog and I hope you keep plugging away.

Vanight said...

Tia,

Thank you for responding. You articulate very well and at such a young age! What you are referring to is what is typically referred to as old earth or young earth theory. I have seen enough evidence brought forth in the last 40 years affectively challenging the assumptions and dating methods made by those claiming the earth is billions of years old to confidently lean toward a young earth position. I do believe that there is enough room within biblical interpretation of the literal 24 hour day vs. a metaphoric 24 day to leave the possibility open. I have not gained the depth of knowledge in studying Genesis to form my own opinion as I am still in the training phase of learning how to correctly interpret scripture. So, like you, I a sort of basing my opinion on the research of others who seem, based on their credentials, to be qualified to comment on the matter.

In particular you may want to do some reading on what is called "The Gap Theory". This is a theory that supports a literal interpretation of Genesis AND an old earth view. Its fairly old and I am not even sure that many still hold to it. I remember hearing about it as a kid. Here is an excellent description of the work at one of my favorite sites, bible.org. http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=36

I am actually quite surprised your school is exclusively teaching an old earth view, considering its a private Christian school. There is lots of up to date research being done today in support of the young earth view.

Here is a link that goes to a bunch of research being done by ICR: http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=research

So to answer your question, I would say I am younger earth creation theorist. I would be disappointed if your text book is using GAP theory as their support. In fact, if it is, let me know. I will need to bring this up to the School. Heheh.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»